Sunday, March 2, 2008

TRAILMIX?



I am facinated by the concept and market for trail mix and what a metaphor for life's journey as we all seek sustenance in one form or another on our individual trails. Endless questions abound...crunchy? sweet? chewy? wasabe - definitely! pre-mixed? custom mixed? M&Ms? Plain or peanut? Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.



How much do we need? Depends on the journey or at least, the leg of the journey at hand. Do we land on just the right combination and stick with it forever? Or continually try new things - it occassionally takes me quite a while, not to mention money, when I go to the bulk section of WINCO and try to decide "what goes in this time?". I suppose that gives away my trailmixology style...



I can hardly contain myself at the endless combinations yet to try in my known world. Now Megan decides to go to Africa and now my world of trailmix opportunities has greatly expanded.



So beyond the stomach and taste buds, what's your life-trailmix like. Mine has been a kick, to say the least. My favorite jouney has been my own, for better or worse. Why? Well, because it IS mine. And I get to choose. Somedays I do a pretty good job and there is balance and life tastes really really good. Other days, maybe not so good. Once in a while - putrid! But those are truly few and far between - like the trail mix, if it doesn't taste good, select something else, no?



It is also fun to see what ends up in other people's trailmix but can we judge them by the contents? Do you shun me because I choose wasabe? Can your kids hang out with my kids because we are like minded in our mix of nuts and fruits? Can we celebrate our diversity and step out of our comfort zone and try each others concoctions - fill our pockets full of variety for the long journey, point ourselves towards the horizon and place one foot in front of the other. CELEBRATE

1 comment:

Megan K. said...

What a great post...very creative metaphor! :-)

Hope to see more, especially when I'm in Africa. This will be a great way for me to see pics, especially considering I'll be using dial-up and won't be able to download pics at reasonable speed if at all.